Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Pumpkin Bushes



The two round bushes at either side of the end of my sidewalk had been calling to me for years for the perfect Halloween costume.  I had wrapped them in spiderwebs and covered them in pipe cleaner spiders for a bit which was fine.   Hours of porch swing brainstorming were spent solely on these two bushes.

Maybe I had paid my dues in swings and beers because finally, it hit me - these giant round bushes were screaming out to be giant round lit up pumpkins!

Easy peasy.  Strands of orange string lights wrapped vertically create the ribs of the rind.  A shorter strand of green string lights wrapped around a tomato cage for the stem.  Wrap some green electrical tape at various spot on your "stem" to secure the lights.  Just stick the stakes of the cage down into the bush for stability and bam!  Giant lit up pumpkin bush.  I can see these, glowing in the distance, when I turn the corner on my way home in the evenings and oh how it makes me cackle.

Nothing would make me happier than one day to see Pumpkin Bushes across American.  When I drive around, I see people's bushes and want to knock on their door to see if they'll let me pumpkin-fy their shrubbery.  My good friend lives in a neighborhood that closes the streets to accommodate 1000's of trick-o-treaters.  He has the most perfect 2 bushes.  He may just wake up one day in October with two giant lit pumpkins in his front yard.  Halloween magic!

44 days 'til Halloween...



Check out 2019's first bush!



*** If you love this... hot tip, during Xmas wrap your bushes in red & white lights to make peppermints that would make Willy Wonka drool***








3 comments:

  1. First of all LOVE this idea. Thank you!
    What lights did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Both a favorite of mine and my visitors. I just recently replaced all my orange string lights with strands purchased from Big Lots. They have different lengths available and the orange is a lovely deep color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps, and the green strands came from ChristmasCentral.com

    ReplyDelete

Home Improvement Haunt

Context is everything.  In the right environment a common item can take on a whole new spooky life with or without minimal adju...