Thursday, September 12, 2019

Creepy Curtain




Queen Martha had this gem in a Halloween issue about 8 years ago or so.  Not sure, I just know I feel like I've been doing this for ages.  And humblebrag here, I do believe I improved ever so slightly on her design.

Cheap, easy, effective.  What more could you want in a Halloween decoration?

What you'll need:
Black trash bags (you can get cheap dollar store one's, just make sure they have the drawstring)
Scissors
Plastic Clothes Line Cord

Step 1: Lay the bag on a flat surface.

Step 2: Cut strips approximately 1.5" wide from the bottom to about 1" from the top/drawstring.  I usually start by first running my scissors along one edge, removing the sealed portion so that later it's easier to open (Step 4)

(Step 2)

Step 3: Cut the ends off each strip.

Step 4: Open up the garbage bag (you should now have one wide panel)

Step 5: Thread the clothesline through the top of the garbage bag where the drawstring is.  Think curtain and curtain rod - the bag is the curtain, the clothesline is the rod.  You'll have to cut a little hole on either side of the closed edge of the bag and pop the line out and then back in to bridge this seal. (This is my Martha tweak - they had you remove the drawstring altogether and then staple it up.  Seemed to me wiser, and sturdier, to use the pre-built curtain rod pocket.)

Step 6: Tie the two ends of the clothesline to hooks at either end.  If you're covering a large area, you can string one panel up, run the clothesline through a hook and then slide another panel on.  Repeat as needed and then tie off at the end.  I find it's wise to use a bit of electrical tape a the ends of the panels to anchor them in place to the clothesline when I've got a large area.  Keeps them from sliding and clumping. 

(Step 6)

Step 7: The fun part.  Holding onto the strip with one hand, use the other to pull and stretch the bag.  This can take a bit of finessing and sometimes leads to tears but not to worry.  Inconsistency is effective with this prop.  I kind of think "milking a goat" when I'm stretching the pieces - using both hands to both stabilize the strip while manipulating it.

And that's it!  Stretch and pull the strips as much or as little as you want.  Vary lengths and widths.  I find I fiddle with it over the month trying to get it just right.

It's particularly effective at night as it's hard to pinpoint what exactly the curtain is made out of.  It's lightweight and floats in the gentlest of breezes and the plastic catches available light.  It can get hung up on branches and costumes so I try to be mindful of where people might be passing through.  Would be super fun to do inside for a haunted house or party - could drape a whole hallway with it like dripping vines.

Thanks Martha!  

49 days till Halloween....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Improvement Haunt

Context is everything.  In the right environment a common item can take on a whole new spooky life with or without minimal adju...