Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gothic Window


Trolling through Pinterest for inspiration, I came upon a gorgeous Gothic Window with Skulls.  I swooned and immediately clicked the link.

$800?!?!?!?!?  Okay I love Halloween but $800?!?!  Hell no.  

It didn't seem that complicated.  A window, some skulls, some "wax" and candles.  

And it wasn't!  At all!   I'm going to make more and pop them up on my Etsy shop if you want to pick one up for a heck of a lot less than $800.  If you've got even the tiniest bit of crafty in you, it's a weekend project at best and doesn't cost much.

Windows are available on Etsy in assorted styles and sizes.  I got the skulls on Amazon and then picked up some spray foam insulation from the home improvement store.  I used some leftover chicken wire I had to create some support and then sprayed the foam insulation to build a base.  The insulation already has a melted wax like quality to it that can be manipulated by the speed and quantity you release.  Once that was dry.  I added the skulls, cutting off the backs at various angles and sizes, with a hot glue gun trying to alter how much would stick out of the "wax."  

I then used the bottom of some water bottles as well as Oui Yogurt jars (I hoard these jars, they are perfect votive size containers that can be used for any occasion) as candle holders, hot gluing them in place.  One more pass of the foam insulation to fill in gaps as well as get a bit more artistic with the drips and "wax" shaping.   I wasn't 100% satisfied with the "drips" so once the insulation was dry, I went back with a glue gun and added glue drips.  

I had some Ivory and Vanilla colored acrylic paint which I used to paint all the "wax" to make it appear more authentic.  Had myself a Happy Accident when I used one color the first coat and another the second.  The two slightly different tones caused a great layering effect, contributing to the "years of candle use" look.

I can't wait to do this one again!  It was immensely satisfying and I've been spending the last few nights on the porch swing, LED candles lit admiring my handiwork.  My poor husband wonders when November will get here.

49 days till Halloween...



49 days till Halloween...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Improvement Haunt

Context is everything.  In the right environment a common item can take on a whole new spooky life with or without minimal adju...