Friday, October 4, 2019

Sinister Souvenirs



Sometimes a prop is right under your nose for years before you see it.

I love Tulum, Mexico and back in my pre-toddler, single days, I would escape for solo trips every May to lay on the beach and never get to half-assed plans.  If you've ever been to the Yucatan, you've likely seen the gorgeous Jellyfish lamps, crafted locally.  Regional gourds and jicaras are combined with seeds, seashells, stained glass and blown glass to make these stunning lamps.


They are works of art and you can't help but feel a sense of dreamy, ocean side bliss sitting under them as they sway in the salty air, projecting their designs on the walls and ceiling.  I picked up a few on one of my trips many years ago and had them hanging on a back patio in an effort to bring that same peace to my backyard.  A house renovation retired them to the garage where they hung, unappreciated for years.

Fast forward to last year when I had picked up 2x 2-hook Shepherd's hooks on the cheap during OSH's blowout sale.  I had hooks and little to hang.  I hit the garage to see what I could find, looked up and bam, there they were.  The Jellyfish lamps.

Now these things are happy, summer vibe inducing wonders.  They're also made out of natural materials, have hanging tentacles of shells and wood, and it's a hanging (points!) light (points!)

With the help of an orange light bulb the warm ocean breezes were quickly replaced with a crisp fall wind and I had myself a bewitching new prop.

I found some online if you can't make it to Mexico.  There's a wide price range and some are not as budget friendly as the one's you can pick up from the many vendors all over the Yucatan but I suppose it's far cheaper than a trip.  Perhaps we all just can dream of a best case scenario: a trip AND lamps.

27 days till Halloween...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Improvement Haunt

Context is everything.  In the right environment a common item can take on a whole new spooky life with or without minimal adju...